Social media is one tool to engage your audience, and content marketing, a.k.a. storytelling is a strategy that can be used via social media. Centered on creating, publishing and distributing content, content marketing encompasses writing, audio, video and photography, that is shared mainly digitally via social media, blogs, newsletters and websites.
Digital Marketing is an umbrella term for all online marketing efforts that includes your business’s website, social media channels, newsletters, earned online coverage, content marketing, SEO, or search engine optimization and more. It also includes the promotion of programs or products through measured marketing campaigns that can be analyzed for ROI purposes.
A few things social media can be used for include:
Social Media Considerations:
- Take the time to analyze each platform and the objective for each platform.
- Ask yourself who you are hoping to reach with each platform.
- Consider the “why” of your presence on each unique social media channel?
- Build distinct brand standards for your voice or messaging (a.k.a brand voice) and visual brand identity.
- Determine what type of content will be used on each platform.
- Build a calendar of major events where social media will play an intricate role and schedule posts to bring awareness to your events.
- Take the time to analyze your insights or analytics to determine who your audience is, the ideal time and day to post, and what posts result in the most (and the least) engagement.
- Is your goal brand awareness, creating advocates, selling products, community building/ all of the above?
- Define which metrics are most important to you. Is it comments, shares, likes? Incorporate these metrics into your goals.
- Go beyond, followers and shares for your goals. Figure out how that’s converting to new supporters/ sales by using Google Analytics.
- Track time and budget.
- Follow and engage with clients, partners, collaborators and competitors.
- Use social media to tell your small business’s unique story!