Inspiring Facts about Female Entrepreneurship:
- Women-owned businesses (WOB) have grown 114% versus the overall national growth rate of 44% for all businesses over the past two decades (1997-2017). (Source: The State of Women-Owned Businesses, 2017, Commissioned by American Express)
- Women owned approximately 20% of all employer businesses nationwide in 2015. (Source: U.S. Census Bureau’s 2016 Annual Survey of Entrepreneurs)
- Women-owned employer businesses increased to 1.12 million in 2016 (approximately 2.8% increase from 2015). (Source: U.S. Census Bureau’s 2016 Annual Survey of Entrepreneurs)
- Women of color business owners accounted for 46% of all WOB and 25.9% of W-O employer firms. (Source: The State of Women-Owned Businesses, 2017, Commissioned by American Express).
- Women’s early-stage entrepreneurship has increased by increased by 15.4% from the 2016 rate and 29.1% from the 2007 rate. (Source: Kauffman Indicators of Entrepreneurship: Early-Stage Entrepreneurship in the United States, 2017)
As we celebrate the achievements of women businesses owners, let’s take a moment to acknowledge the trailblazing female entrepreneurs, business owners and advocates who contributed to the passing of the Women’s Business Ownership Act.
Witness first-hand the impact of women business owners and meet Washington Women’s Business Center Program Director, Susan Perreault at Celebrating Dreams on May 30th!