Profiting From Your Pivot
Six Month Resource Program for Small and Regionally Marketing WA Farms
January - June 2022 (Apply by December 15th)
Profiting from Your Pivot is a new bi-lingual business service with one-on-one coaching for small and regionally marketing farms in Washington. COVID caused your business model to pivot, now it's time to focus on profit.
This program will give farmers the chance to evaluate their business pivots and COVID-19 adaptions made over the last 20 months. You will be given the tools to decide what is working and what is not and set future goals. You'll be paired up with your own personal business coach, farm mentors, trainings, and approximately $700 in professional services to achieve those goals.
Farms requesting support to achieve a USDA Good Agricultural Practices (GAP) certification will have the option to reimburse their first successful audit.
What You'll Get
- MONTHLY SESSIONS WITH YOUR PERSONAL BUSINESS COACH
- LIVE COURSES TO MATCH YOUR FARM BUSINESS NEEDS
- ANYTIME ACCESS TO RECORDED CLASSES
- MONTHLY PEER TO PEER WORKSHOPS WITH FELLOW WA PRODUCERS
- FREE CONSULTATION AND WORKING SESSIONS WITH A PROFESSIONAL SERVICE PROVIDER
- GAP AUDIT PREPARATION SUPPORT
- BI-LINGUAL PROGRAM IN SPANISH & ENGLISH
More About the Program
WSDA Regional Markets and Business Impact NW have teamed up to offer Profiting from Your Pivot, a program for small and regionally marketing farms across Washington. Attend an information session Friday, December 3rd, 2021.
This program will give farmers the chance to evaluate their business pivots and COVID-19 adaptions made over the last 20 months. You will be given the tools to decide what is working and what is not and set future goals. You'll be paired up with your own personal business coach, mentor, trainings, and approximately $700 in professional services to achieve those goals.
You will be paired with your own personal business coach to create a personalized path through the program's offerings, selecting the most beneficial mix of live and on-demand trainings, mentorship from experienced farmers, and additional professional services to fit your needs. For farms that identify a GAP audit as a key requirement for their business goals, the program includes a track focused on writing a produce safety plan and preparing for a GAP audit, with the option to reimburse costs for their first successful GAP audit.
During the 6 month program, participants will be required to attend a monthly meeting with other farmers in the program to network, receive expert presentations, and learn about additional opportunities.
You will have access to a portfolio of free business resources and professional services designed specifically to help YOU navigate uncertainty and plan for future success in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic.
This project is funded in part by WSDA’s Specialty Crop Block Grant Program.
Start Profiting from Your Pivot
Are you ready to get informed answers to your questions, share experiences, and brainstorm creative solutions to your farm business challenges in a supportive environment with peers and experts?
Profiting from Your Pivot offers a portfolio of services that come with a unique opportunity to increase farm business knowledge, identify where to invest time and capital, be provided critical personal professional services, and to connect.
Allow us to connect you with business professionals, farm mentors, and personalized training tailored to your needs.
- Identifying new growth opportunities
- Managing business profitability
- Discovering additional learning opportunities
- Connecting to community resources
- Writing a produce safety plan
- Preparing for a Good Agricultural Practices (GAP) audit
Each farmer will be paired with the appropriate class(es) for their needs.
- Packaged Foods Course
- Farmer Financing Series
- Washington Food & Farm Finder: Finding Growers, Producers & Getting Yours Listed
- Farm Bookkeeping Basics: Planting Solid Roots for Growth
- Farm Bookkeeping Deeper Dive: Entering Online or Market Sales
- Food Biz Resources to Grow, Make Connections, and Find Market Opportunities
- Basic Principles of Produce Safety (GAP and FSMA) (WSDA)
- Introduction to Food Safety Plan Writing (WSDA)
- USDA GAP/GHP Audit Grading and Preparation (WSDA)
…and more depending on your goals
Topics included but not limited to:
- Regulatory processes
- Time Management
- Successful Collaboration
Participants receive two hours of bookkeeping & accounting professional services plus choice of one paid professional service listed below:
- A Subsidy for an E-commerce platform
- Marketing and branding working sessions and support
- USDA GAP/GHP Certification reimbursement for successful first-time audits
Approximately $700 in value
- On-Demand class content not in currently in or translated to Spanish will be made available via interpretation.
- Professional Services such as bookkeeping, accountants, and marketing assistance will be provided via live simultaneous interpretation.
- For languages other than English and Spanish we will make accommodations to the best of our ability as requested.
Profiting from Your Pivot is not a traditional accelerator or course as there is very little pre-set curriculum. Instead, the focus is on providing individualized wrap-around services for the 6 months of the program. Participants will be guided through self-directed training opportunities and resources based on their own goals, rather than all participants attending the same trainings or curriculum.
While Profiting from Your Pivot has very little set curriculum we believe the connections made with farming peers and mentors is critical to participants reaching their goals. These monthly sessions will be informative, interactive, and allow participants one-on-one access to these key farmer-mentors.
Anticipated minimum commitment is approximately 4-6 hours a month to attend required 2-hour monthly cohort peer-to-peer learning, meet with assigned business coach, meet with service providers depending on goals, and attend on-demand or live trainings that align with each farmers goals. For the 6 months of the program, participants will be required to attend a monthly meeting with other farmers in the program to network, receive expert presentations, and learn about additional opportunities.