- This event has passed.
Business Expert Session: Farm Bookkeeping Basics: Planting Solid Roots for Growth
August 26, 2021 @ 11:30 am - 1:00 pmFreeMore Information / Register
Getting your bookkeeping set up correctly at the outset provides solid roots and a foundation for the growth of your farm business.
In this presentation we will review the basics of what is needed for creating a system that gives you a health report on your business, and prepares you and your business for taxes, employees, and loans.
Topics covered will include:
- Business entity types
- Spreadsheet systems vs bookkeeping software
- Chart of accounts do’s and don’ts
- Options and set up for sales tax, receivables, payables, accrual vs. cash
- Automation tools – bank feeds and recurring transactions
- Overview of dealing with online sales and sales apps
- Employment basics – employee vs contractor, intern, volunteer
- Bookkeeping best practices – why and how to reconcile to statement, and other dreaded paperwork wrangling
About the presenter:
Jocelyn Campbell has accumulated 30 years of professional bookkeeping experience, ranging from her family’s small business to corporate account management. Since 2008 Jocelyn has worked to support family-owned and solopreneur sized businesses of all types, with a special interest in farms and non-profits. Together with her daughter Emily, they offer expanded bookkeeping, payroll, and payroll tax services, in addition to Jocelyn’s QuickBooks and accounting consulting. Jocelyn’s services and expertise have been in high demand throughout the local farming community of the Puget sound.
Jocelyn grew up in Kirkland and raised her two kids in Maltby and Woodinville. After spending 7 years in Montana on a 220-acre permaculture homestead she is happy to be back in her home state, living in the woods of Carnation, WA.